Monday, April 18, 2011

Muy Delicioso!

My life plans don't involve living in Utah forever, and one of the things I will miss the most whenever I get where I'm going is... SONORA GRILL!


Over the last 10 months, Sonora Grill has become my favorite restaurant. I love Mexican food. I could eat it every day, and I have NEVER had Mexican food like this before! I recommend it to everyone, and I take my favorite people there. 

Now I'm taking you! 

This place is packed with FLAVOR! Every dish is like a party in your mouth-- excellent flavor combinations that you can't even imagine. The atmosphere is modern, swanky, and relaxing. I LOVE IT! 

You know you are in a good place when they bring you a basket of fresh tortilla chips, each chip as large as your face. Can't go wrong! With the chips, they serve two excellent salsas: a divine salsa verde and a roasted chili salsa. In 2010, they won City Weekly's "Best Salsa" award. Here's what they had to say: 
“At Ogden’s Sonora Grill, meals begin with great chips and salsa. The “chips” aren’t typical: These are whole, intact, deep-fried corn tortillas that need to be smashed into chips. But it’s the salsas that star. There’s a lively, bright-green tomatillo salsa that is delicious, and also a rich red salsa made with roasted morita peppers that has the perfect amount of zippiness, smokiness and depth of flavor to make it a truly world-class salsa.”


Every time we go to this fabulous place, I almost always get a different dish. And I've been there A LOT. I  believe that everything there is good, and I would always recommend seeing what specials they are having.  Here are some of my favorites dishes:

  • Chile Verde
    *I like to try Chile Verde at all of the Mexican restaurants I go to. This Chile Verde is unlike any I've ever had and it is packed with chile flavor. The sauce is thick and a dark green. So good!
  • Arroz Con Pollo
    *One of the first dishes we got-- sealed the deal for us!
  • Shrimp Chile Relleno
    *We have gotten this on multiple occasions because it is THAT GOOD. My husband Josh does not really like shrimp, and this is a winner with him. And this dish goes along with my uncle's sage advice: "You know a Mexican place is good by their chile rellenos." So right, Uncle Richard!!!
  • Carnitas Nortenas
    *OMG. Seriously. The carnitas are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. What?! The flavors are fruity, spicy, and oh so happy. 

Highlights:
TACO TUESDAY! Each taco is $1.50. You can get whatever combination you would like. The chile verde, the shredded beef... MMM! Again. you may be thinking, "Shredded beef? Boring!" That's what I thought, and boy was I wrong!
GUACAMOLE! #1- they make it right in front you. #2- It is amazing. $10.00 is a steep price, but it is worth it at least one try. Those humungo chips will thank you.
DATE NIGHT! Right next to the Megaplex at the Junction. One time we ate dinner, went to the movies, and then we went back and had dessert! Dreams do come true.


After reading this post, please go to their Facebook page: CLICK HERE! They have GREAT pictures of their food and of the restaurant.

They recently updated their dessert menu, which includes locally made coconut ice cream, and one of my favorite childhood treats, frozen chocolate covered bananas (I had these served at my wedding. True love <3). They are also adding mole dishes to their menu. MOLE! Yes, I tried the mole enchiladas. And yes, they were muy bueno.  Their mole is a mix of fruit, nuts, cocoa beans, and magic.

And so, my love affair with Sonora Grill will continue. I've been two times in the last two weeks. Take a trip north of Salt Lake and satisfy your taste buds. They will be dancing all night long!

Much Love,
M

The Sonora Grill
2310 S. Kiesel Ave. Ogden, UT 84401 
801.393.1999
www.thesonoragrill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment