Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jump Into Fall...

Hello Friends!

It has been a long summer, devoid of posts, which is to say that we three have been mighty busy! But have no fear-- we had some fabulous food adventures this past week that we will write about soon. Look forward to posts about the Copper Onion in Salt Lake City, and a follow-up love fest for Cucina Toscana, also located downtown in SLC.

As a fair coordinator, I know all about fabulous food of another sort... deep-fried and finger-licken good. August was home to the Davis County Fair, and the Utah State Fair is currently going on through next weekend. I read about some of the food concoctions that they will have there... raccoon, alligator... deep-fried MAGGOT melt, anyone? No. Just plain no. Do we have to stoop to the exotically disgusting?! But let's be honest, these gimmicks, especially at fairs WORK. People may go just to try and find someone else eating the oh, so fiber-full maggot melt. Well, not I. My boss googled a picture of it, and that was enough for me!

My fair go-to's include, funnel cake, Polynesian chicken & macaroni salad, BBQ, and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Maybe I'm a simple girl, but I know what's good.


One of the biggest reasons that people attend fairs is for the food. Is this their excuse to eat whatever they want? Well, I say take it. Although, fairs are pretty prevalent all summer long (especially in Utah), so some may want to pick and choose the fairs they let it all hang out for.

At the Davis County Fair, I pretty much tried everything. A few stand-outs were The Greek Station and Wild Wild West BBQ. Both were new to the Davis County Fair, and I hope they come back! I branched out and had a traditional gyro with beef and lamb... the guy was right... SO GOOD! And at Wild Wild West... well, I ate their twice. And that, my friends, is the official stamp of approval. I had his homemade kielbasa sausage and a full platter... ribs, chicken, homemade salsa with tortilla chips. They even make their own BBQ sauce, which is another reason why their food was so good. It had a unique twist to the flavor, and I liked it!

This next week I will be going to the Utah State Fair, and of course I plan on hunting out something fabulous. I do like to branch out... but I'm pretty sure you won't catch me eating raccoon... I hear it's greasy. :)

Tell us about your favorite fair foods and the craziest thing you've tried! I hear deep-fried Pop Tarts are getting popular!

Love,
M

P.S. OFFICAL ADVICE-- Do NOT get funnel cake anywhere other than a fair or city festival. Funnel cake at Cold Stone? I gave it back and got something else. No bueno. Funnel Cake at IHOP? I'm pretty sure the answer is in the question. No. Don't do it. Gird up your loins for the winter, and wait it out 'til summer comes. Your tastebuds will thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear about the funnel cake at Coldstone; I totally bypassed it recently and I felt badly for doing so.

    And my favorite fair foods are Navajo tacos and roasted corn on the cob--takin' it back to my native american roots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat funnel cake till I'm sick, that's how much I love it. And I agree with Holly - Navajo tacos are delicious!

    ReplyDelete